Saturday, August 19, 2006

What is that Green Stuff?

I was eating in a Japanese restaurant a while back. My baked salmon came with a side of what I thought was guacamole. I filled my fork up with it, put it in my mouth, swallowed it, and DAMN!! I grabbed my glass of water, drank it faster than I ever thought possible, and flagged down the waitress. I couldn't talk, so I pointed from the glass to my mouth while grabbing my throat. My sinuses had cleared faster than any medication could provide. My nose was running, eyes were watering, and throat burning. Damn.....what was that green stuff? It's the spiciest guacamole I've ever had!
She went back to the kitchen to get the water when suddenly I heard a shriek of laughter. I noticed the kitchen workers were peaking out the door looking at me. For some reason, I was their entertainment.
When the waitress came back and brought me a pitcher of water, she told me that green stuff was wasabi (a Japanese horseradish). She then demonstrated to me that I was to mix it with soy sauce (in the small bowl) and dip my salmon into it.
Thanks for telling me.

No comments: