Saturday, August 19, 2006

Then There's Grits....

(Background to set the story: I was brought up in the midwest where cream of wheat or rice, and/or oatmeal were common breakfast cereals.)
I was in Atlanta, GA for breakfast one day. I wanted a bowl of oatmeal, plain and simple oatmeal. So, I went into the local Waffle House. I looked at the menu and noted they didn't offer any oatmeal. I did notice something called grits. I had seen grits in boxes in the grocery store. They were always located near the oatmeal and hot cereals.
The waitress came over and asked for my order. "I'll take some grits with milk and sugar, please." She gave me a very strange look and repeated, "A bowl of grits with milk and sugar?" "Yes," I said. She shook her head and went into the kitchen.
Suddenly, I hear bursts of laughter from the kitchen. I notice the door is swinging open and faces are peering out at me. It was like I was the star attraction in the local freak show or something.
When the waitress brought me my order, I asked her if I said something funny cuz I noticed the kitchen staff seemed to be laughing at me. I think she liked that question more than my order. She stifled her laughter and very politely she said, "Usually people order grits as a side dish like hash browns. We've never had anyone order it with milk and sugar. You're not from around here, are you?" I then told her I thought grits were similar to Cream of Wheat. We both chuckled.
I still can't figure out why they're sold in the hot cereal section.

No comments: