Here's a healthy recipe for a soup that can be slurped via a straw. I developed it while becoming acquainted with my crock pot oh..so many years ago. This recipe came in particularly handy while I was recuperating from my fractured jaw. It's also perfect for times when you want good nutrition without having to take the time to chew your food.
The longer you cook the mixture, the softer the veggies become. I like to cook it until everything purees together in one wondrous blend.
Slow-Cookin' Split Pea Haven
6 cups water
2 cups split peas, rinsed
1 medium carrot, sliced and peeled
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1 T Italian seasoning
1 small stalk broccoli, peeled to remove thick outer coating
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cabbage
* Place all ingredients into crockpot. Stir thoroughly. Set crockpot setting on HIGH.
* Cover and cook for five hours. Stir occasionally throughout cooking time to prevent sticking.
* Cooking times vary, so check periodically.
* Serve warm with a slice of wholegrain bread or crackers.
* Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.
* Soup can also be frozen for later use.
NOTE: For a non-vegetarian version, you can add a skinless and boneless chicken breast or pork tenderloin to the pot. When done, the protein will easily fall apart with a fork.
Find interesting? Kindly share...