Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why The Larger Tree Fruit?

Something's been happening lately that has got me thinking. When I go grocery shopping for produce, the produce has gotten larger. And, I mean...LARGER. It's next to impossible to find a medium or small size fruit anymore. I don't want a LARGE fruit.

Why is this happening? Is fruit being breeded to produce larger volume? Are seeds being manipulated to produce a larger volume? Is it just another way for the population to consume more calories, perpetuating the obesity epidemic? Is the population requesting this large-sized fruit? Is it being cross-pollinated with something else? What's going on?!

Our society, overall, is becoming obese. Is this a reason for the increased size of fruit? I don't buy the thinking that fruit is calorie-free, so you can eat all you want. I don't care about that. The larger the fruit, the more sugar it contains. Period. I know that if I buy a LARGE nectarine or apple, for instance,it's too much for me to eat at one time. I need to cut it in half. It's not appealing to eat 1/2 fruit. A small to medium-sized fruit can be consumed in one sitting. It's the perfect size.

It used to be so easy to find a small to medium-sized tree fruit. Not anymore. Has anyone else noticed this?

Find interesting? Kindly share...


Bookmark and Share

No comments: