Monday, July 26, 2010

An Experience with Raw Goat's Milk

Anyone who has drank soy milk can understand what I am going to say. There has to be a tastier alternative that does not have added sugar. So, I am always on the look out.

When I was at the local Farmer's Market, one vendor was selling goat milk products. I know goat cheese can be pretty tasty. However, I had never had goat's milk. When offered a sample, I figured...”What the heck?”. I had heard that lactose-intolerant people can consume goat's milk. So, I tried it. It was DELICIOUS!!

I purchased a half gallon of it. Then, about 30-45 minutes later, I started getting a mild headache that originated in my left eye muscle. (I know, because I've had issues with my left eye for 35 years). And, I started feeling a little strange. I blamed it on the sun since it was a beautiful, sunny day.

When I got to my car, I read the milk label. There was a waiver of liability stating that raw milk may contain bacteria that can cause harm to some people. Oh oh. My system can be pretty sensitive. I needed more fact finding. I went back to talk with the goat milk lady and discussed what raw milk is. She was knowledgeable about raw V pasteurized milk. Truthfully, I had no knowledge about the subject area. It sounded like a chemotherapy equivalent. Chemotherapy kills healthy cells while also killing harmful cells. Pasteurization kills bacteria while also killing healthy enzymes.

When I got home, my headache got worse. It did not progress to the migraine stage, luckily. It was a concern, though. I knew that if I went out into the heat, it would get worse. I know my body well enough to know how I react to direct sunlight for an extended period of time (even 10 minutes). So..I stayed in.

I started getting very tired. I was planning on attending a social event in a couple of hours, so I layed down for a nap. My nap lasted for six hours! I missed my social outing along with tons of fun. Oh well.

I decided to do online research regarding goat's milk. A nutritional breakdown revealed 7 grams of saturated fat per cup. Considering I'm used to .5 to 1 gram per cup, that's quite a difference. (No wonder it tasted so good.) :) There were a variety of other beneficial nutrients, including calcium.

I'm not certain what caused my reaction to goat's milk, but I am not drinking anymore raw milk products. If I drank more than a sample size portion, who knows what the results would have been. I don't want to find out.

Hope this helps others.
Find interesting? Kindly share...



Bookmark and Share

No comments: